Here are some ways to accessorize those bookshelves and give a new look for your home without spending a lot of money.
- Let’s start with the obvious…books! I’ve collected both Fashion and Home coffee table books for a long time now and have purchased a few new favorites to add to my collection. This ELEMENTS OF STYLE by Erin Gates is one that I just found for under $20! Also, BEAUTIFULLY ORGANIZED by Nikki Boyd is one that I love for home decorating tips! They are not only so pretty but full of beautiful inspiration. Pick books for your shelves that interest you, remind you of your travels, or things your family treasure.
STYLING TIP: Books can really add up when you’re filling a whole shelf, and sometimes it’s hard to find all the ones you love at once. I went to the used book store and found some filler books for a couple of dollars to fill the gaps while we continue to add to our collection. Turn the books in various ways to create depth and dimension to your shelf. Also, remember the days of covering your school books with paper, then decorating them with stickers, hearts, and who your BFF was at the time? Let’s bring those skills back to life! I have found several inexpensive coffee table books and purchased paper at PAPER SOURCE to recover them in the same way. I pick out the various papers in accordance with the color scheme that I have in the room. The store arranges the paper in sections by color so it is easy to pick variations and textures.
2. Statement bookends: Almost as good as the books themselves – pretty book-ends! I’ve found so many amazing ones lately! I ordered both this geode set and this set; I ended up going with the geode, but I think I will save the others for somewhere else in our home.
3. Pictures: Nothing makes a bookcase more personal than adding pictures, whether its shots from the family or art prints that mean something to you. Pretty frames are also an easy and natural way to bring in more accents if you are going for a certain aesthetic. I wanted to bring in more white to space and a picture frame was an easy addition – love this one from Home Goods!
4. Some greenery or flowers: I think every space benefits with a little bit of greenery! It makes every house feel like a home. But I don’t have much of a green thumb when it comes to plants so it’s a struggle haha. I haven’t given up on live plants yet but until then, a good faux floral piece can go a long way! I love having fresh flowers around the house but a bookcase is a perfect spot for faux florals since you don’t have to worry about replacing them every couple weeks. I love this hydrangea bouquet and just ordered this pink bouquet for our home too. (Also love this one)
5. Something you’ll actually use: You can’t go overboard with decorative elements – after all a bookcase is one of the best ways to display all of your favorite decor accents. Don’t forget to add something that people will actually use to make the bookcase not just decorative but also functional. This tic tac toe set from Horchow was one of my favorite finds – one of the kids’ favorite games is tic tac toe – plus it’s so pretty!! It’s nice having something fun to pull out and play with the kids or when we have guests over.
I’m always arranging and rearranging my bookshelves, tweaking along the way, and as the seasons change something always inspires me to add elements that reflect the times.
What are some of your favorite things on your shelf?